Serving Dorchester, Belmont, Thorndale, Thamesford, Putnam, Crampton, Avon, Harrietsville-Mossley and surrounding area

Residents help neighbours escape house fire

submitted photo
Thames Centre firefighters battle the blaze that originated in the garage of a townhouse on Foxhollow Drive on Friday morning.
by Wendy Spence
THE SIGNPOST

      On Friday morning residents on Foxhollow Drive took action and helped make sure their neighbours, an elderly couple, escaped from their home without injury. Janet Foster noticed smoke coming from the home of Ann and Arnold Vandeven. Janetís husband Ted knocked on their door to make sure they got out safely.
      Thames Centre Fire Chief Randy Kalan said the fire originated in the garage and the damage of the structure and contents was estimated at over $300,000. The cause was a faulty or deteriorated extension cord.
      Firefighters arrived on the scene shortly after 10 a.m. and remained on site for about five hours, according to Kalan. There were no injuries and minor smoke damage to adjacent units. There were functioning smoke detectors, but the couple got out of their home before they sounded. The firewalls separating the units worked properly and stopped the fire from spreading.





Inside this Week
Learn about happiness, business Thursday
Voting underway for municipal election
Dolphins beat archrival
Local figure skater wins